This past weekend was a very special one for me as Mila made her first trip to Kansas. The main reason for this trip was for Mila to meet her great grandmas but there were plenty of other visits scheduled for Mila's "coming out party," or, as I like to call it, Mila on Parade.
Robert, Mila and I flew from LAX to Kansas City on Saturday morning because there are no non-stop flights to Kansas out of Orange County. Non-stops with a baby are a MUST.
A friend of mine with a baby similar to Mila's age recently made the trip from Chicago to San Francisco and had a
Boppy Lounger; I knew I needed one immediately for our flight and, luckily, another friend had an extra one. This lounger was another MUST for a long flight with a baby because we were able to keep her in the middle seat without having her touch anything disgusting. Had there been someone in our row it would've been much easier to have her on this on my lap rather than having to hold her the entire time.
 |
| I don't know why this entertained her, but it did |
Mila did great on the plane ride, slept for half the way and was otherwise a happy baby. When we arrived to Kansas City it was COLD. Sadly, it was 82 degrees when we left Huntington Beach...I'm lucky I managed to get Robert on the plane!
 |
| there were all kinds of new toys at Nana and Papa's house to play with |
Saturday night after getting settled, I put Mila to bed and Robert and I hit the town for some much needed bestie time (don't worry, Robert had Whitney's boyfriend to hang out with!).
 |
| whit. anne. meg. |
Sunday morning came very quickly; we just can't do it like we used to anymore. We had to get up and get on the road early, though, to go visit Grandma Foley (my mom's mom) in
Marceline, MO. My Grandma Foley just celebrated her 90th birthday, is a pillar of love and I think meeting Mila maaaaaay have been her favorite present.
 |
| five generations of lovely women |
She couldn't get this big smile off her face the entire time we were there. It was so great for the two of them to finally meet each other.
 |
| the fun was too much for daddy and Mila |
Unfortunately we didn't get to spend as much time as we wanted in Marceline because we had to get on the road back to Kansas City to meet up with good friends for dinner; it was an old Sigma Kappa roomie reunion!
 |
| Lori and one of her favorite bebes |
Monday morning we got all bundled up and left the house to go see Grandma Fisher (my dad's mom), who also lives in
Shawnee, KS.
At 88 years old my Grandma Fisher is nooooo fuddy duddy. She is such a little firecracker and and cracks me up every time I talk to her. She wouldn't put Mila down the entire time we were visiting her and Mila was quite content sitting in her lap.
 |
| four generations of love |
After another too-quick visit, we left Grandma Fisher's to go get some good 'ol
Oklahoma Joe's Kansas City BBQ for lunch, but not before Robert let Mila
touch eat snow. She liked it at first but then started crying, probably because it was too cold; you and me both, baby doll.
After lunch we went up to my sister's school to
visit her classroom and the other teachers that have heard so much about Mila.
 |
| school's in session |
I think one student said it best when she commented, "She's a celebrity! Everyone wants to touch her!" My other favorite comment was a little boy who said, "It's spitting something out of it's mouth." Some of the other kids thought she was Erin's baby...apparently she needs to work with them on understanding the concept of time!
Monday night we went over to Jet and Leondro's house for dinner and the KU game. They have a little boy, Andre, who was a little lover of Mila; he would make such a good big brother! We will adopt him as Mila's :) Jet had saved all of Andre's baby toys so he had a great time getting them all out and showing her how to use them.
 |
| baby jackpot! |
Tuesday, after a morning nap,
we went down to my mom's work to meet all the
Andrews McMeel Universal peeps. My first job was at AMU so I am sure it was crazy for some of the people that were still there to see my all grown up AND with a baby AND a cutie husband (aka my arm candy).
 |
| brrr. i'm cold. |
 |
| i'm right on top of that, Rose! |
Tuesday night was the last stop for the Mila train and another special one for me: we went to visit the three boys I nanny-ed for. It's still very hard for me to believe that I started with them when they were 7 and 9 and now they are 18 and 20; seriously when did I get so old?
 |
| Mila. Meet Codr. |
 |
| Mila LOVED listening to David play the piano. Her eyes lit right up! |
 |
| my little girl and my three boys, Sam, David (he's not a cut out in real life, it's just hard to get the three of them together in one place!) and Dan |
 |
| Mila, Dan and Sam |
 |
| one of my favorite moms and my little love |
 |
| I wish this wasn't blurry :( |
Tuesday night we went to dinner with my parents and sister and Bret. Wednesday we just hung around the house before leaving a little early for the airport to get in some last chance BBQ.
Then, sadly, we had to board the plane and head back to warmer weather.
While I was excited for everyone in Kansas to meet Mila and vice versa, words cannot begin to describe what it meant to me to introduce Mila to her great grandmas. I will never forget the look on both of their faces and the time they spent together. My heart pretty much exploded with love.
Until next time, Kansas, much love. Mila out.
No comments:
Post a Comment