We started the month with the end of swim lessons and Mila moving up another level. I wish we didn't have to wait until next summer to get her back in the pool but her calendar is pretty full these days.
I can't believe she starts Kindergarten so soon but she is SO excited and looking forward to it. We decided to keep her at Grace Lutheran for her kinder year for a number of reasons, including but not limited to: one drop off for me, her home public school is under construction and the kinder teacher at Grace is apparently amazing; we're not looking forward to another year of paying for school but we are lucky we can afford it.
Robert and I were both able to spend one on one time with Mila preparing for school; Robert took her for ice cream and to pick out new shoes and I took her school supply shopping (maybe that was more for me than for her?!). I think it will be a definite transition going to Kindergarten but we are definitely up for it and I can't wait to see what this little girl accomplishes!
Nellie will be in the Violet room at preschool this year, with our favorite teacher, Mrs. Teri. This is the year when Mila really blossomed and matured, doing homework and being an all out joy to be around. I can't wait to see what the transition will do for Nellie and where we are headed next.
While Mila and Kira have been having sleepovers for what seems like forever, Nellie is always asking for Ariah to spend the night. Of course she's too little to understand that Mila grew up with Kira and it's different and three year olds don't have sleepovers. However, one night Ariah's mom was in a bind and asked if we could watch Ariah for the evening. Nellie was beside herself excited that she was coming over for a "sleepover" but understood that she would go to sleep at our house but wouldn't be here when Nellie woke up (her parents picked her up about 10pm).
Mila was such a big help that evening, really taking on the role of big sister/mom. I walked into the kitchen and she turned around to tell me she was making the girls dinner <3
Both girls are still typically sisters, fighting like cats and dogs one moment and then the best of friends and playmates the second. With Mila moving over to the school side for summer camp Nellie has really taken to finding her own friends, although she still adores Mila and her crew as well.
I need to stop and remind myself about the little things that will make a big impact. For example, we were invited to a pool party at one of Mila's friends houses. There was a ton of kids there and after everyone had a popsicle for dessert they all asked for a second; another mom said, how can we really say no when we're having 2 glasses of wine (!), they're just popsicles! She is totally right; I am so quick to say no when most of the things are little and saying yes does little harm...and gives you such great mileage ("two popsicles?! you're the best mom ever!").
My work had an end of the summer trip to the Del Mar Race Track to watch the horse races, which was so fun. We definitely need to take a trip down there next summer for the races; plus they have a kids club that's super cheap and they do all kinds of activities while the parents hang out!
August was our month of concerts: we saw three in eight days! We started off the week with a date night to see Chris Stapleton; he was AMAZING. Every time he comes to town we will definitely make it a point to go see him; he's so talented.
Next up was Darius Rucker, another one of our favs. We went with a large group of friends to this one and then all went out cosmic bowling after.
The next day after Darius was rough but we had to get our act together because we had Kid Rock to see with our friends Kasey (my first roommate in California!) and Greg. I LOVE KID ROCK; obviously because we wouldn't never done two concerts in two days but I couldn't miss him. He is THE BEST. I tried to add them all up and this was (I think) my 12th time seeing him....the first being 20 years ago when I was a junior in high school.
Then the next morning we rallied AGAIN and headed to San Diego for our annual family vacation. We stayed somewhere new, Campland on the Bay, and had a great time. The great/worst thing about going camping the last week in August is that all the kids (except our district) are back in school and the places are all ghost towns. The girls had a blast at the San Diego Zoo, which was so great, and even met two girls their ages that were staying in the trailer across from ours. They spent nearly two days nonstop with them. They were sad when we had to leave and they wouldn't see them again but I explained that's jut how vacation friends are and there would be many more in their life!
Looking forward to: Mila starting Kindergarten (!) and Nellie headed back to preschool, the start of Saturday soccer games, Mila's birthday, Robert's birthday and an end of the month camping trip to Crystal Cove

No comments:
Post a Comment