Mila has been doing great at school (except for maybe at math!) and is really starting to learn to read; it's like it just started clicking and she's doing a great job sounding out words and recognizing them. She even received an Accelerated Reader award!
Nellie had the most interesting news of the month: Nana and Papa sent each of the girls $5 for Easter and they were very excited to take the money to Hobby Lobby to buy some candy and gum. It was all very cute, they picked out their stuff while I picked out mine. When we went to the check out counter I had them go to the counter and pay for themselves to get them comfortable with the process. Nellie went first, paying for her two items and then it was Mila's turn; while she was going, Nellie noticed a rainbow stuffed animal she loved in the checkout line but she didn't have enough money since she just bought her candy (I was NOT going to do the whole return thing with these two!). Mila finished paying for her stuff, I paid for mine and we were headed home. About halfway there I heard Nellie staring into her shopping bag and talking to it; I looked back to see she had taken the rainbow stuffed animal from the store!!!!
Now, I have Googled a lot of things: when to stop breastfeeding? should poop be that green? When should a child no longer wear pull ups? I like to think I am prepared. HOWEVER, safe to say I have never Googled "what to do when your four year old shoplifts"!!! I turned the car around and took Nellie back to the store, all the while walking the thin line between trying to make sure she understands that stealing is not okay but not so much that she thinks the police are going to come arrest her! I made her take the animal back inside, I called the manager over and made her give it back and apologize. I was really hoping for a teaching moment from the manager but, to my surprise, he said, "Don't worry about it; this happens all the time." Suffice it to say I was still mortified!
Our neighbor, Carol, had her 50th birthday this month and they were so sweet to invite us over for the party. They went all out with a fiesta in the backyard and the girls had a blast.
The girls had Spirit Week at school where, instead of uniforms, they got to dress up for the different days. Pajama Day and Decade's Day were the two favorites.
The girls liked the 80s outfits I put together but Mila was very shy about wearing it out of the house. I told her not to be embarrassed, people actually used to dress like this and no for fun! They thought that was pretty hilarious. They were definitely the best dressed at school and we all got tons of compliments on their outfits.
The week ended with VIP (Very Important Person) day on the school side. Each student got to pick someone important in his/her life to invite to school for chapel, brunch and a special project in the classroom. Mila exhausted her Kansas choices first and then I made suggestions about local family and friends that she could bring (including ME and DADDY) but we all lost out to Miss Tori, who was so very excited to be Mila's guest.
We spent Easter weekend at Crystal Cove and started off with manicures and pedicures for the entire family. The girls were so excited to be included (daddy had also taken them for a haircut before, note the flowers in the hair).
When we were done we headed down to the beach for the weekend. It's truly the most magnificent spot and so beautiful. This year was a little cooler than usual but each day was sunnier and better than the last.
The hills behind the campground (El Moro Canyon) have some of the best hiking in the county. I convinced the girls to go hiking with me on Saturday morning and they did great! We hiked three miles, up and down a lot of rugged terrain. They were most concerned with freaking out about bugs on the trail and possible snake sightings (we didn't see any) but they were so proud of themselves when we got back; we had hiked a total of 3 miles. I was impressed with the minimal complaining as well.
We were lucky enough to manage to get two spots this year so we had a bunch of friends on site, including the Charland family who tent camped on our site (girls in the trailer with our girls) and Uncle G uber'd down each day. We had other friends come and go; it was quite the revolving door and so much fun.
Although we didn't manage to get any pictures of it, the Easter Bunny did visit the camp and left presents and all kinds of hidden Easter eggs, which the girls were super excited about.
We spent the day at the beach and then went to bed early before heading back to reality Monday morning.
The end of April marked Take Your Daughter To Work Day and Robert took the girls to the HSI Training Facility. They both got little badge pins, trading cards, lots of good pics and fun memories.
What we're looking forward to next month: Uncle G's birthday, KFG baseball game at CSULB, Mother's Day, Mom's birthday, open house at school and a group camping trip to Flying Flags for Memorial Day






No comments:
Post a Comment