Monday, August 31, 2020

August 2020

 When I first moved to Southern California I heard all kinds of things about the Junior Guards program and, to be honest, I never thought my kids would participate because I don't like the beach or the ocean and I figured they wouldn't either! How wrong I was.  What I didn't know was what an amazing program it really is:

Students gain a wide variety of skills and knowledge including:

  • how to enjoy the beach safely;
  • ocean and wave education;
  • area familiarity;
  • first aid and CPR;
  • water rescue techniques;
  • the importance of keeping physically fit; and other topics related to lifeguarding

This valuable experience builds self-confidence and skills for life.

Here in Huntington Beach the program doesn't start until age 9 but this year they did a pilot program called Junior Groms that models Junior Guards but is for 5-8 year olds.  They started out with one week and quickly added two more; next year they plan to offer a full six week camp with both morning and afternoon sessions; we can't wait.  Among other things, Mila learned how to surf while at camp and Nellie actually got in the ocean for the first time in her life to swim and boogie board; they came home with all kinds of fun facts about sharks and tide pools and Nellie even swears she got stung by a stingray!



Because of their new love for the water, the beach days continue!





We had two camping trips this month, the first one to Paso Robles, which was so nice but SO hot but, unfortunately due to COVID, you could only reserve a one hour per day time slot at the pool.  We went to a couple of wineries and, while the kids were troopers, we decided next time we go it will be an adults only trip!




Our next trip was a neighboorhood camping trip to San Clemente; we had never been before and it was a really cute spot. We actually have another trip planned there in October with our Cypress camping group.



We surprised Mila with an early birthday present....her own surfboard! She was SO excited but has yet to ride it because the waves weren't good the weekend we were there.


Mila has had four wiggly top teeth for a couple of weeks now and really wanted them out. After banging them on a chair at school one day she asked if Jenn, our dental hygenist neighbor, could come pull them out! I didn't actually think she would want to go through with it but she did!








Things we're looking forward to next month: our 10th aniversary!, Mila's birthday and party, Robert's birthday, a quick adults only getaway to Vegas, oh, and the start of school (but I'm not sure we're actually looking forward to that!).


No comments:

Post a Comment