Saturday, September 21, 2013

6 Realizations From the Last Year

This past year has been amazing.  There are so many different emotions, feelings and experiences that we have been through. I still can't believe that our child will be a toddler in less that a week.  I've had so many realizations over this past year but here are a few that stick out in my mind:

1)  Without intentionally doing so, Mila has completely changed the eating habits around our house; and it's really for the better.  We're eating more fruits and vegetables now that we ever have, are trying to eat a more plant-based diet and exploring all the different options of milk that are out there. I'm sure many people probably think we're (I'm) crazy, but this is what we think is best for our family, and that's all that anyone wants, right?

2)  While I used to be on the go all the time and looking for something to do, I've realized that I now look forward to the days when Robert is working and Mila has gone to bed because these are the couple hours of the day that I get to myself. Sometimes I don't even turn on the television, I just sit and enjoy the quiet. And then usually I miss Mila and think about waking her up to snuggle her (sometimes I do, sometimes I don't!).

3)  I am surprised by the things that bother me and the things that do not when it comes to child rearing. I am shocked at how sensitive I am still to the whole breastfeeding issue!  I STILL mourn the fact that I had to stop earlier than I wanted to and I get defensive anytime anyone asks me if I am still doing it.  On the other side, I thought I would be such a germaphobe mom and I'm not at all. I put Mila directly in the shopping basket, I could care less when she puts a fist full of dirt in her mouth and she crawls around the house without a diaper any chance she can get.  My friend (and nanny), Kerry, said to me not long ago that I am a very laid back mom, I think that is such a great compliment!

4)  If I have learned ONE thing from this year it's how little you appreciate your parents until you have kids of your own!  As someone who is always quick to tell my parents how I appreciate them, I appreciate them SO. MUCH. MORE. now!  I especially think this when I have to pick up Mila's books for the 8,000th time and then turn around to find her pulling them off AGAIN.  And, most importantly, I feel bad for all those times I thought it was funny to wake my mom up from a nap...why couldn't I just let the woman sleep! I hate to see this karma come back around two-fold.

5)  Speaking of, I really wish I would've taken those people seriously that told me to sleep as much as I possibly could before the baby came.   Another little gem that I did not "get" until Mila was born is that, raising a child is hard but it's so worth it.  That is the absolute truth; there are days when Robert and I are pushed to the limit with all of our responsibilities slamming together but each and every time we look back and wouldn't trade it for the world.

6)  I never knew it was possible to love another human being so much. And not just Mila, but Robert as well.  My heart absolutely melts when I see Robert with Mila and the love he has for her and for me.  Our lives are so much better than we could have ever possibly imagined they could be.

I find myself thinking of a quote I read somewhere regarding parenthood,
"The days are long and the years are short."  
That's such a wonderfully scary way of looking at it...and I wouldn't change a thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment