We had Nellie's two week doctor's appointment today and she is doing great. She is still measuring at 20.5in long and her head circumference is right on track. I was anxious/nervous for her weight to be checked because, while Nellie is having many wet diapers, I am still not confident in our breastfeeding; I was ecstatic to find out she now weights 8lbs, 9oz! This makes me so happy because I feel like I can stop worrying about whether or not she is getting enough milk. Dr. Brouwer did say that now that she has gained back her birth weight I can stop waking Nellie in the middle of the night to feed her. This is great news because Nellie, sometimes, will sleep 4-6 hours at a time. I might continue waking to pump or feed her just to keep my supply up but it's nice to know that I don't have to.
Dr. Brouwer went on to say that, starting today, she wants us to start giving Nellie one bottle of breastmilk a day. This will help her get used to taking a bottle and, at 2.5 weeks old, the chance of nipple confusion is low; if we wait too long she will refuse it. Giving her a bottle a day will allow dad to be more involved, will give mom a break and she wants us to be able to go out and have a date! Doctor's orders! It was nice to hear this about the bottles (and pacifiers) because I have been putting it off; even better that Robert was there to hear it too so he will make sure it actually happens.
The doctor gave Nellie an A+ and said that everything is great! Next we go back on February 28th for her 2-month check up.
No comments:
Post a Comment