Thursday, June 18, 2015

Silver Boobies - Nellie!


I cannot believe we have made it this far and that I hit my goal!  I am truly in awe of what the female body can do; not only grow a child but nourish it as well.  I was amazed by the number of times I thought my milk was drying up only to find out that I would pump more the next day than I ever had.  It was definitely not easy and took some time for my body to regulate but I am glad that I stuck with it.

I think the moms that breastfeed longer, especially the working moms who have to pump, are even more amazing that they are given credit for because it's hard work.  Other than having non-fatty milk, thankfully I never had any plugged ducts, mastitis or any other issues (other than Nellie biting me recently!).  I will always treasure the bond that it made between Nellie and I and the quiet moments we shared but they really were no different than the moments I shared with Mila.

And, because it's just so interesting, here are some facts of a six month old breastfed baby:

4 months
  • By giving your breastmilk for the first four months you have given your baby strong protection against ear infections and respiratory tract diseases for a whole year (American Academy of Paediatrics; Tufts-New England Medical Center Evidence-Based Practice Center; Duncan.B et al).
  • By breastfeeding for at least 4 months you have reduced your baby’s risk of SIDS (Mother & Baby).
  • You may notice a further slowing of your baby’s weight gain around now. Between four and six months, breastfed babies tend to gain weight slower than their formula-fed peers, although growth in length and head circumference are similar in both groups (Moody et al). "Gradual weight gain, although this is not necessarily even, and a dropping-off of weight gain should not be taken in isolation to suggest that feeding isn't going well" (Johnson).
  • By 4 months, babies have entered a significant cognitive milestone; their brains are going through an enormous growth spurt, which accounts for all of the increased alertness and distractibility. A baby who used to feed intently will now pop off and on the breast, turning to look when Daddy or big sister walks into the room or if a noise catches her attention. 
  • Babies tend to want to breastfeed more often when they are feeling emotionally unsettled. If you are returning to work it may trigger increased feedings (Rapley and Murkett 2012). 
6 months:
  • You have greatly reduced your baby’s risk of developing allergies by waiting until at least now to introduce solids, this is particularly the case if you have a family history of allergies.
  • By breastfeeding for this long you have protected your baby’s intestinal tract so that it can now begin to produce antibodies. These antibodies coat the intestines and protect him from foreign proteins and allergens.
  • Continuing to breastfeed alongside the introduction of solid foods not only ensures good nutrition, it actually helps with the digestion of those other foods (Rapley and Murkett 2012). 
  • After the first six months, breastfed babies tend to be leaner. Compared to their formula-fed friends, breastfed infants gain an average of one pound less during the first twelve months. The extra weight in formula-fed infants is thought to be due to excess water retention and a different composition of body fat (Dewey. K). Expect your breastfed baby to gain an average of one pound (1/2 kilogram) per month from six months till he is one year old.
  • Your baby will grow around one-half inch per month from six months to one year.
  • By breastfeeding for 6 months you have given your baby significant protection against eczema during their first 3 years (Chandra et al).
  • You are now in the 1% of mothers who have breastfed for this long! Bravo! (BBC 2012).
  • You have also given your baby a 19 percent decrease in risk of childhood acute lymphocytic leukemia and a 15 percent decrease in the risk of acute myelogenous leukemia (Tufts-New England Medical Center Evidence-Based Practice Center).

No comments:

Post a Comment