Sunday, July 26, 2015

What Nellie Has Taught Me

When I became a mom the first time around I didn't think I knew EVERYTHING but I knew a lot, for sure. I had read many, MANY books on childrearing and I was set in my ways on how we would raise our firstborn.  Thankfully, everyone in our life followed our principles and rationales and Mila has developed into the model child. This is obviously a testament to the fact that we NAILED it and are perfect parents. Right? Right?

The second baby gets a bad rap; but I think it's this child that brings everything into focus and shows you what a real marriage and family is all about.  Even though I knew everything the first time around, Nellie has taught me more about parenting than I can ever imagine.
  • I am stronger than I could have EVER possible imagined.
  • Even if I don't want to I can get up at 5am and be up for the day, without being THAT grumpy
  • I don't MEAN to spoil you but when you cry I just want to pick you up and snuggle you until you stop because I know it won't last for long
  • You made our marriage so much stronger.  The second time around is no joke.  It's not as easy at all but it's so much easier that I think we are seasoned veterans.  Robert and I are so much more on fleek point for Nell Bell and our marriage is much stronger.  Having literally just realized this in the past two months, when you have a first baby your expectations of life have not changed.  You think you can do everything you did before and a baby will just fold into the mix. But when your husband wants to go to the gym after work and you planned on using that time to meet up with a friend it's quickly evident that things are not the same.  With the second baby you know what is expected of you and you are more of a team player.
  • You don't need swim lessons, or classes, at 4 months old; you will have enough activities and be just fine with all of the people in your life that love you
  • I now know I don't need to make you eat liver and you will still be super smart (this is mostly because, no matter how good it is for you, I just can't stomach cooking LIVER and then FEEDING it to you)
  • I don't HAVE to make your baby food but, this time around, I enjoy it. It may (allegedly) not be any different than the all natural, organic food I can buy in the store but I love doing my part to give you the best, freshest food available 
  • It's okay if I spend longer rocking you at night and put you down asleep (and not just drowsy) because you will still sleep through the night by the time you're in first grade
  • I still live and die by Babywise, but it's just not the same with the second baby. You have shown me that, even if you aren't on MY schedule, you will follow your own and I will adapt
  • Sadly, you have fallen off more items (bed, couch...) than I care to admit and you're absolutely fine! I now know babies aren't made of porcelain and you are no different than Mila, who lived in a bubble
  • Your firsts are SO exciting (and SO sad) because they are our lasts
  • Organic/non-GMO is best and I will continue to do everything I can to ensure this is all you have in that tiny little body of yours. I don't care if your formula is twice as expensive as last time 
  • Breastfeeding for 7mo was EVERYTHING I ever dreamed it could be
  • My body, all that it is, is so amazing and I am finally comfortable in front of a mirror
  • We don't realize it's the last time until it never happens again
  • You think after having one you could never love another so much (I may or may not have thought this after Roscoe and before Mila!) but it's just different and there's enough love to go around
  • I will never be done having babies.  When I see the pregnant ladies at the doctor or the maternity clothes at the store or the stories of birth on TV or the friends having their own or the tiny little clothes or the new baby snuggles or the...  Eventually my body will be so old I can't have any more and then, and only then, will I know we are done.
Most of all Nellie has taught me that you can't plan for anything and everything will be the best.  You just don't get it when you are a first time mom. If you're only ever a first time mom you will get it eventually, extra babies just speed it up.  


And I wouldn't change it for anything in the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment