Thursday, December 11, 2014

House Updates

When I was pregnant with Mila my parents had just purchased a condo in Huntington Beach and the entire kitchen needed to be updated.  I essentially became the contractor of the project and spent many days over at the condo dealing with painters, installers, tile layers, countertop installers and more.  Apparently this is something I DO when I am pregnant because this time around with Nellie we have made some improvements on our house and have had workers in and out of the house for the last month or so.

The first update we did was to replace all of the interior doors in the house; this was probably 60% out of necessity and 40% cosmetic.  The doors in our house, I would imagine, were original from the 1960s and they had issues.  The bathroom door jamb was stripped and would no longer fully close; the guest room door would "stick" and make a very loud noise whenever it was opened (it would seriously wake up the whole house if we had guests over!).  

Robert did a great job picking out the doors and the door frames; I just had one caveat: the doors couldn't have any kind of design on them because they are too hard to keep clean.   We had the doors installed by Home Depot and then a week later we had a guy come and paint them.  I think they look awesome and really change the look of the house and the hallway.



Next, you may or may not remember but the entry way wall used to be purple, which Robert hated and said made it look like you were walking into a strip club (what?!).  So Robert jumped at the chance to paint the entry way door the same color gray as Nellie/Mila's room. I do miss the purple statement wall but the gray really does tie in better with our house.


Now that Mila and Nellie are sharing a room I thought it would be nice to have an area outside of the room that Mila can use if/when Nellie is sleeping and she can't play in their room. I saw this art station on Pinterest and knew I had to create a little nook just like this for the girls. 

The boxes on top hold crayons, markers, play dough, paint, stickers, coloring books, etc.  It's nice that it's located in the middle of everything so Mila can sit there and do activities while I am cooking dinner. I've found that the best toys for her (and me!) right now are the ones that keep her occupied.


You can also see from the photo above that we added a teal "runner" rug right inside the front door.  While we all love it, no one as much as Roscoe, who hates laying on the tile and can now lay on the rug and still look outside.

The biggest change to the house was the updating of our kitchen countertops and backsplash, which we have wanted to do for a while now and only recently decided to pull the trigger on.  Robert has been talking about changing out the cabinets for a while but, after discussing it, we concluded that our house IS a beach house and we couldn't go much darker without it looking out of place. That being said, we replaced the stainless steel countertops with a lighter, quartz option. Once that was done the red and tan backsplash was too dark for the space so we changed that out for a tile and glass mosaic.  We could not be happier with the end result and think it completely changes the look of the kitchen.


We ended up replacing our garbage disposal as well as the sink, which is now an undermount sink so we can just sweep crumbs directly into the sink, which is sooo nice.


I cleared off a bunch of the items and appliances from the countertops that we weren't using on a daily basis and it really de-cluttered the space.  We added a new gray, turquoise and green rug in front of the sink and a sand colored valence to the window to keep me from being blinded when cooking in the afternoons.

The last update we made was to tie in the colors from the kitchen into the living room.  The brown rug had been good to us but with since we had previous changed out the curtains and couch it was really too dark for the area.  We bought the brown one at Home Depot so went back there in search of another one and ended up finding a similar rug in gray, which we both loved.


We are so happy with all of the changes....and happy the process is over! It's almost like having a new house again!

No comments:

Post a Comment