Wednesday, August 1, 2012

31 Weeks & So Much More!


How far along? 31 weeks
Total weight gain: 22.5 lbs
Maternity clothes? still rockin mostly dresses
Stretch marks? still none! woot!
Sleep: not so good...once I am asleep I am fine but if I wake up in the middle of the night I have the hardest time getting back to sleep
Best moment this week: finishing the nursery!!!!!!!!!!
Worst moment this week: omg the worst thing EVER in the pregnancy started happening Sunday afternoon. I. Have. Baby Brain. I thought, like numerous other pregnancy side effects, this would just bypass me but it hit me and it has hit me hard.   Sunday night I spilled a pan of eggs all of the stove, burned my knuckle on a pan and grabbed the handle of another hot pan and burned all my fingers; Monday I sent every. single. email. forgetting to attach the attachment. And that's only the beginning. I will start talking and then stop mid-sentence because I can't remember where I was going with the topic. I think I would have preferred morning sickness.
Miss anything? sitting in the sun, drinking a pear cider. yep.
Movement: still lots of movement. sometimes it feels like she's doing the Freddy (Camp Beverly Hills anyone??) with her arms and legs all over the place
Food cravings: none
Anything making you queasy or sick? nope.
Have you started to show yet: obvi. i would start to worry if this wasn't the case.
Gender prediction: it's a girl!
Labor signs: none yet...that I know of. I can't tell if I am having Braxton Hicks contractions so I guess it's safe to assume I am not (?)
Belly button in or out? still in :)
Wedding rings on or off? on
Happy or Moody most of the time? happy
Looking forward to: breaking out the crying baby doll I just bought to see how Roscoe reacts (see below for more details on this subject).

This was a very busy week!

This past Friday our best friends, Bryan and Shawna came down for a visit. Shawna is also pregnant and only five weeks behind me so it was nice to hang out, compare notes and just catch up.  It's still so hard to believe that we are both having babies.

Yesterday Robert and his friend, CJ, went to the US Open surf competition down in downtown HB.  CJ has a 2 year old daughter, Hartley, that he brought over to the house; this is the first time Roscoe has ever been around a baby/toddler/child. Luckily Hartley has a dog at home too so she was very comfortable around him.  I was half expecting a mauling but I was SO impressed with how he reacted!  He did a lot of licking but was otherwise very gentle and only got a little out of control when Hartley would start running around because he would start to chase her and ultimately knock her down.  This was a very positive and reassuring sign for me because I have been worried about how he would react to the baby; plus it will be much easier once Mila is around all the time and it's not something new for him to "play" with.



We also had a very quick doctor's appointment today.  We went over my glucose test results; it turns out I did better on the three hours test drinking more sugar than I did on the one hour test drinking half the sugar, who would've thought.  I also got some pediatrician recommendations so I will continue that search.  We have one more appointment two weeks from now and then our appointments go to once a week.

Upcoming Doctor's Appointments
8/15 at 3:30pm
8/22 at 3:45pm
8/29 at 3:45pm
9/5 at 3:45pm
9/12 at 3:45pm
9/19 at 3:45pm
9/26 at 3:45pm

Finally, we had our hospital tour tonight as well.  This was a chance for Robert and I to get a layout of the hospital, get a look at the rooms and ask questions.  The Childbirth Center at Orange Coast Hospital, where we are delivering, is a locked facility but not an electronic banded facility.  That means that you do have to be buzzed in and out but you and your baby are not electronically matched up.  Instead, mother and baby each have a color coded, barcoded band on that identifies them as together. I never really thought about this before hearing there was the option of electronic bands so I am trying to forget they ever exist.  I haven't heard many stories about babies being stolen switched at birth so I will just keep my fingers crossed that this doesn't happen. It is nice, though, that they allow you or your partner (or another adult) to accompany the baby when he/she is out of the room so you can keep an eye on your goods.

They gave us a phone number strictly for the mother's to call if they have any questions and/or if they feel they are going into labor. They also gave a number (714-378-7510) for us to hand out to our family and friends for after we deliver; they didn't say it on the tour but I read in a brochure that cell phones are not allowed in the hospital.  Robert is allowed to stay with me at all times, vaginal or c-section delivery, both in the labor and delivery room and if we have a private room.  In addition, we are allowed three visitors (two in addition to Robert) at a time, during the day from 11am-2pm and 4pm-8pm.  2pm-4pm is called Cuddle Time and no visitors are allowed; it is strictly a time for bonding between the family. 

The hospital provides mother-baby couplet care, meaning the baby and mother stay together at all times unless requested by the mother (if she needs time to take a shower, nap,etc.).  One unfortunate thing about this hospital is that you deliver in a LDR (labor/delivery/recovery) room and then, after about an hour and a half, you are moved to another room for Mother Baby Care; other hospitals over labor, delivery and full recovery in the same room, which I would prefer.  Another downside to this hospital is that they only have six private rooms and 16 semi-private (two person rooms).  You can request a private room when you check in but those rooms are mostly used for women with complicated circumsstances (multiple births, c-sections, etc.). They do though, fill all 16 rooms with one person first and then start putting people together only if necessary.  If we end up with a semi-private room not only will I have to share with someone else, Robert won't be able to spend the night; it's only for two days for a vaginal delivery so I guess it could be worse.  She said that, being the year of the Dragon, they have been extremely busy with births, so fingers crossed we luck out and get a private room for our stay.

So there's all of our updates for this week!

1 comment:

  1. Comments from Auntie Erin:
    1. It's Troop Beverly Hills. I have the dvd, we can watch it in October or December. Gotta get Mila started out watching the best movies.

    2. Maybe you should start post-it-ing everything so you don't forget. I bet Robert would love that.

    3. If the crying doll doesn't work, just go to youtube. Roscoe perked up at that!

    4. Yay for Roscoe not mauling children!!!

    5. So exciting about the hospital tour. Does this rule out an in-home tub birth?!

    6. I LOVE YOU MAMA MEGAN!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete