My biggest piece of advice is to take a tour of the hospital you will be delivering at and ask what that provide for mom and baby because there are all items that you don't need to pack and bring yourself.
Here's my original packing list, with notes and other helpful tips:
For Mom
Essentials
- Nightgown or big t-shirt (I packed two and that was enough; make sure they are low cut or loose at the top for breastfeeding)
- Socks (very helpful because the rooms are super cold)
Washcloths and towels(weirdly, there was no shower in my hospital room so I didn't shower while we were there. I did shower before leaving for the hospital, though, which I am thankful for)Flip flops(I packed a pair but also wore a pair to the hospital so I only needed that pair, not the one I packed)- Robe (came in very handy to wear with only a nursing bra for all the back to back feedings)
- Shower bag with toiletries (include hair tie, chapstick and dry shampoo)
- Pillow and pillowcase (in a color other than white so you can distinguish it from the hospital's pillows) (VERY necessary because the pillows at the hospital suck)
Camera(not needed, our iPhone cameras were sufficient)- Loose outfit for going home
- Makeup
- Lanolin or nipple cream
- Cell phone charger
Birth plan(I made one of these (email me if you want a copy) but forgot it at home so didn't end up using it...or needing it)- Nursing bras
and breast pads(you don't have enough milk at the beginning to leak so these aren't needed) Underwear (either disposable or cheap gma ones you can throw away after)(mesh underwear is provided by our hospital so you don't need to bring your own)Sanitary pads(provided by our hospital)
Tennis ball (to be used as a massage aid)(didn't have one so didn't bring it, and obviously didn't need it)iPod, books/magazines(we brought our iPads so it included all of these)TowelGum and other hard candy- Snacks
- ID and insurance card
Bag to take home any extra gifts you may receiveSpray water bottle(provided by our hospital)Laxatives(provided by our hospital)Hand sanitizer(provided by our hospital)
- Toiletries
Cash/change for vending machines(Robert left the hospital to shower and pick up lunches for us, I don't think he ever went to the vending machine)- Change of clothes
- 2-3 sleepers or nightgowns and undershirts
- Scratch mittens
- A shawl or baby blanket
Cream, such as A&D or petroleum jelly(never used)Disposable diapers(provided by our hospital)Cotton balls(never used)Wipes(provided by our hospital)Baby book (for hand and footprints)(too much going on to take care of this)- A car seat
A hat(provided by our hospital)
Two things I didn't bring to the hospital that I wish I would have were the SwaddleMe blanket things and a thick blanket (thicker than a receiving blanket). Our hospital room was set at 70 degrees and Mila was FREEZING. I had her in a onesie and two receiving blankets and still had to keep her in bed with me under the covers because she was so cold.
No comments:
Post a Comment