Last week was a little emotional for me because, as of Tuesday, Mila hadn't pooped since we left the hospital. According to the doctors, she should have 1-3 dirty diapers every day and she didn't have any. I called the lactation consultant, the pediatrician and a nurse at the hospital (enter crazy mom here). This probably wasn't the best idea because they all gave me different answers, but the consensus was that she should be pooping. The lactation consultant suggested I come to a breastfeeding clinic on Wednesday so they could do a pre- and post-feeding weight to make sure she was taking in the milk. Then I would have more of an idea as to whether or not we should see the pediatrician.
So Wednesday afternoon Robert dropped us off at the clinic and Mila took in 0.6 ounces of breastmilk, which wasn't very good. However, she had just eaten a half hour before so it is likely that this was just a snack for her, not a full meal. The lactation consultant told me she wasn't taking in very much milk, it was a concern that she wasn't pooping and she looked a little jaundice so, of course, that sent me over the edge! I called the pediatrician that afternoon and moved our newborn check up to the next day.
| Love! |
| Skin to skin time with Daddy |
Before the photos, though, we went to her first doctor's appointment. The doctor made me feel so much better because he said that he didn't think she looked jaundice at all and her weight was healthy (7lbs, 13 ounces; she also grew a 1/2 inch and is now 19.5 inches long). She had pooped the night before (after some rectal stimulation as suggestion by the hospital nurse), so that made mama feel much better. Her pediatrician said that all babies are different and some go days between poops when they are a little older but Mila was just going through it a little early (already such an over achiever!). Going to the doctor made me feel so much better and made me realize that you can't pay attention to every since little thing that is "going wrong;" in addition, I think I placed too much emphasis on what the lactation consultant was telling me (when really she's not even a nurse) and let her over-worry me. Our baby is healthy, gaining weight and happy; and that's all I care about.
We have been going to my parent's condo every couple of nights just so I can get out of the house, which is definitely helping with my mood.
After the doctor's appointment we hurried home for the newborn photo shoot. Initially Robert couldn't understand why we were taking pictures so early but, as soon as he saw them being taken, he was totally on board. They. Are. ADORABLE. They should be done by this upcoming weekend and I am dying to see them.
| every single one of these was cuter than the last |
Robert's parents came down again last weekend and spent the night on Saturday night. Robert, Garret and my dad golfed on Saturday morning and it seems like we are getting back into a routine.
KU played (horribly) against K-State on Saturday so, of course, Mila had to support her Jayhawks!
| Rock Chalk! |
| Newest Jayhawk |
| CSULB Onesie from Auntie Shawn! |
| Bug friends |
| Papa Time |
Family photo shoot!
Finally, last night I had my first pear cider in 9 months. And boy was it delicious.
Finally, last night I had my first pear cider in 9 months. And boy was it delicious.
No comments:
Post a Comment