Sunday, November 23, 2014

Nellie's Nursery

Finally.  FINALLY Nellie's name sign came in and I can take pictures of the nursery!  I have been waiting on it for weeks now and, although I was irritated by how long it took, I was even more excited about the finished product than I expected to be!  It arrived as unfinished wood and Robert, thankfully quickly, painted it for me.


When I first went to buy the bedding I was looking for something teal but then when I saw this print I was immediately drawn to it and had to have it.  As I did last time with Mila's bedding I got the name of the fabric and went on Etsy to order some coordinating pieces (like the owl) so everything would match.


I'm really into matchy-matchy so you will see a lot of it in Mila and Nellie's room.  First, the cribs match, and so do the owls, the bible verses and the mobiles.  I think the colors go well together but aren't  super coordinated.

Originally we had discussed giving each of the girls their own rooms but that was mostly because I thought I needed to move Mila to a twin bed and have Nellie use her crib (and a bed AND a crib wouldn't fit in the room). After some research I found that it's best to leave Mila in the crib until she starts climbing out, which she hasn't started doing yet.  Once that happens, her bed can convert to a toddler bed, so they will still share a room.  This is great news for us because it allows us to keep our guest room.  I am a little nervous/interested to see how it goes with two in one room but I can totally see this happening in the future.

When I was pregnant last time Robert's grandma gave me the rocking chair that she used with his mom; this time around I wanted a glider that was more cushioned so that was my big splurge.  It's sooo comfortable and I can't wait to sit in it and nurse/rock Nellie; Mila and I are already breaking it in with story and song time every night!


You may have noticed by now we replaced Mila's pink paint with a nice, warm gray.  It turned out much better than I imagined and I am so glad that we changed the color; it seems like such a different space now. The pink chandelier is still there and we have moved the camera up on top of the shelf (which is what the cord goes to that you can see in the middle of the picture below).  I thought I was going to have to buy another camera but with the way it is mounted right there on the corner of the shelf I can pan from Mila's crib to Nellie's crib in one swoop; plus an aerial view is so much better for spying!


Because we have more furniture in the room this time around there wasn't much space for the changing table.  So, instead of using one, I just secured the changing pad to the top of the Expedit cubby system from Ikea and that saved us a lot of space.


I loved Mila's bible verse so much that I had a different one made by the same Etsy shop for Nellie.


Here is Mila's part of the room, complete with her name running down the window, her doll chair in the corner (that she likes to sit in) and the yellow lamp to tie her pink side of the nursery into Nellie's lavender side.



Lastly is the girls' closet.  Not much has changed except that it's stuffed to the gills!  Not sure how I managed to fit not only Mila's current stuff in there, plus all of her smaller size clothing that Nellie will be using but it's all in there!  Thanks goodness we put these cloest organizers in there a couple years ago.


Nellie's clothes (just newborn and 0-3 months!) clothes are on top and Mila's clothes (just size 2T!) are on the bottom.  I think it's safe to say that these girls don't need any more clothes!


I am SO extremely happy with the way the nursery turned out. Not just the way that Nellie's stuff has folded seamlessly into Mila's space but also that it doesn't feel like a cramped space either. There's plenty of room for all of Mila's toys and room to play on the ground.  I like to go in there and just sit (and Mila soon finds me and will come play as well) and think about all of the fun times that room will hold for our two little girls.

No comments:

Post a Comment